Purpose

 A man without a goal is like a ship without a rudder.”

In short, it means he drifts through life like a ship carried by waves, wind, storms, and whatever external forces come his way. Sometimes these forces push him into calm waters, but other times into rough seas, and at worst, onto rocks or shallow reefs. A man without purpose often ends up fulfilling the goals of other men — and that was one of the most painful awakenings in my life.

I don’t remember exactly when I first heard this line or when I first thought about it, but I remember the emotion. It was both paralyzing and awakening. The realization that I had spent years working dutifully at someone else’s job, so that someone else could live their dream, pushed me down as a man. “I’m someone else’s damn tool!” ran through my head repeatedly, every time I felt dissatisfied or was given more obligations.

It took time, but I started climbing out, step by step, from the self-built hamster wheel of work — what we often call the 9-to-5 grind. And the best part? Once you step off that conveyor belt of endless tasks, you suddenly have time. Time to think. To think beyond the rhythm of alarm-clock, gym, work, home, sleep, repeat. Alarm-clock, gym, work, sleep, weekend exhausted or drunk, alarm-clock, work, sleep… and so on.

The paradox of leaving a salaried job is this: suddenly you have all this free time, but simply existing starts to bother you. You can’t just sit still; you feel the urge to move, to act, to create. I paused for a moment and wondered: where does this mindset come from? We’re not born thinking we must always be busy — someone planted that in our heads. Sometimes it’s worth asking why so many people think and act this way, even when they have enough food and everything else they need.

And here I was, drifting with my thoughts just like that man without a purpose — and then I realized: purpose! Everyone has goals, and for many, a salaried job is perfectly fine — no need to take full responsibility, and the paycheck always arrives on time. But for me, it’s about having more time to pursue what truly matters.

Ask yourself: are you living a life that, looking back on your deathbed, will make you smile?

The key is to have a goal — and when setting it, be honest with yourself: I will do this because it is exactly what I want to achieve. Once a goal is set and the decision is made, visualize the journey and the achievement as if it has already happened. Some people suggest writing down goals every day, but for me, seeing the result clearly in my mind works best.

If you don’t have a serious goal right now (a goal worth committing to, not just dragging through the week), start small. Pick something achievable in a short time. For example, read a book that has interested you for a long time. Small victories release dopamine, boost confidence, and strengthen your belief that you are capable of bigger achievements. Accumulate small wins, and eventually, they form something that can permanently change your life.

A simple example: read 10 pages a day of material that expands your knowledge or skills. One year later, you’ll have gone through at least ten books, gaining expertise in that area — and it only took a year! This is the power of small, consistent achievements.

If you feel “stuck” and can’t handle reading or working on anything big, take a manageable goal. Clinical psychologist and author Jordan Peterson describes how small, achievable actions — like cleaning your room — can help people find purpose. Too big? Start by picking up trash or gathering socks. Next day, tackle dusting. Two weeks later, you’re cleaning the kitchen stove.

By achieving even small goals, you move steadily closer to the life you’ve always dreamed of — the one that once felt impossible

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Who am i?

I'm a Fuckup

Emotional maturity