Emotional maturity
“Emotional maturity is the ability to accept the things you cannot change, the courage to change what you can, and the wisdom to know the difference.” — Nelson Mandela
Defining emotional maturity might make this post half as long, but let’s take a deeper look. Simply put, it’s a sign of being “grown-up,” but I want to explore it more broadly.
To be fully honest, I’ve spent my conscious life dealing with triggers — emotional triggers. As a young man, I didn’t understand these moments and often blamed my temperament, which only made things harder. But temperament is no excuse. When I was younger, a little teasing or disrespect could spark an emotional explosion and conflict. Over time, I learned to control my emotions better and respond verbally with skill. Yet until recently, I didn’t fully understand the mechanics of it — I was merely adapting to my reactions, conflicts, and emotional storms.
What drove me to dig deeper was the realization that even when I responded to provocation with dignity and did not start a conflict, I sometimes still felt bad afterward. I would think I should have held back, been more diplomatic, because conflicts don’t build relationships. Eventually, I realized that we have to communicate even with people we don’t like — at work, with family, in life.
Once I understood that, I started analyzing why I reacted the way I did and identifying my triggers. Broadly speaking, triggers often stem from unresolved issues, primarily from childhood — suppressed anger, shame, fear, traumatic experiences — but also from self-protection mechanisms. For example, if you consider yourself an honest person and someone publicly calls you a liar or thief, it can trigger you. Other triggers include repeated patterns of dangerous or unpleasant experiences (like being bitten by a dog as a child) or being in a vulnerable physical or mental state (tired, exhausted, intoxicated, hungry, or thirsty). One specific trigger for me is my social nerve — unfairness and stupidity always get to me.
So how do we handle triggers without overreacting?
I believe it’s crucial to focus on analysis, not emotion. If someone tries to manipulate you and pushes your buttons, the goal is to make you react emotionally, losing focus on the real cause. This creates a cycle: the next time a similar situation occurs, your reaction is automatic, and you start avoiding people or situations altogether. Avoiding manipulative people is wise, but first, you must understand what triggered the emotion. Often, understanding comes easily once we realize that the brain reacts automatically. Childhood experiences, fears, and past trauma shape these reactions.
After the situation, take time to separate the emotion from the cause. For example, if a dog triggers fear, recognize whether it’s actually dangerous. If not, your next reaction can be more measured — avoid the dog’s path or work on your fear by gradually engaging with similar situations.
How to recognize a trigger physically? It’s similar to a fight-or-flight response: your heart races, breathing becomes shallow, muscles tense, adrenaline floods your body, and you feel the urge to immediately “react.” Once you notice this, resist the impulse. Take several deep breaths, relax, plant your feet firmly to release tension, and move a few steps. Repeat to yourself: it’s only an emotion. Doing nothing in that moment is a big step forward.
Mastering triggers takes practice. Once you avoid your habitual reaction and understand what set you off, it’s time to familiarize yourself with those triggers. If someone attacks your sense of self, ask what made them think that. Often, it’s a misunderstanding or superficial judgment, and you can clarify the truth. Over time, recognizing why certain feelings arise helps you control yourself, reducing overreactions and giving you more emotional freedom.
Comments
Post a Comment